They include photos taken in Switzerland on occasion a paceful vigil in honour of the Intersex Awareness Day 2016, celebrating 20 years of nonviolent intersex protests.
The vigil took place outside the “Kispi-Ball”, an annual fundraiser of the Zurich University children’s Hospital – and in response to the hospital, after starting a remarkable and rightully much lauded process of coming to terms with past IGM practices 1954-70, last spring nonetheless destroying 90% of their medical files concerning [WARNING!!!] IGM 1 (“masculinising” genital surgery, including “hypospadias repair”). And on top the hospital went on to repeatedly claim in the media not doing IGM surgeries anymore, which unfortunately is far from the truth … 🙁
Unfortunately neither the police nor the posh hotel hosting the fundraiser wanted to allow us holding our nonviolent vigil in remembrance of the survivors and victims of IGM practices past and present – but as you can see, we just did it anyway! 🙂
Thanks to everybody who participated, gave us a thumbs up other otherwise expressed their solidarity!
• UN Committee for the Rights of the Child (CRC): IGM = Harmful Practice + Violence
• UN Committee against Torture (CAT) 2015: IGM = Inhuman Treatment or Torture
• UN Women’s Rights Committee (CEDAW): IGM = Harmful Practice
• UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD): Violation of Integrity
• UN Human Rights Committee (HRCttee) to examine IGM Practices
• CAT 2011: Germany must investigate IGM practices and compensate survivors!
Intersex Genital Mutilations in Switzerland: 2016 CEDAW
Human Rights Violations Of Persons With Variations Of Sex Anatomy
IGM in Switzerland • Complicity of the State • Harmful Practice
>>> Download as PDF (288 kb)
IGM as a Harmful Practice: UN-CRC Briefing
• IGM: A Survivor’s Perspective • Intersex Movement History
• What are Variations of Sex Anatomy? • What are IGM Practices?
• IGM and Human Rights • Conclusion: IGM as a Harmful Practice
>>> Download PDF (3.14 MB) >>> Table of Contents