>>> The UN press release on the review of Ireland by the Committee on the Elimination of the Discrimination against Women (CEDAW) summarises the question on Intersex Genital Mutilations by CEDAW expert Ruth Halperin-Kaddari, as well as the embarrassing (non-)reply by Irish delegate Kieran Smyth (Department of Health):
« Questions by Experts
On stereotypes and harmful practices […]
Intersex genital mutilation was still practiced in Ireland, causing life-long pain and suffering. Ireland had been asked to prohibit that harmful practice, so what was the current status? What measures were being taken to eradicate female genital mutilation, including the adoption of a plan as proposed by civil society organizations? [….]
Replies by the Delegation
Responding to questions on stereotypes and harmful practices […] Every year, two to three intersex children were born, who were transferred to specialist hospitals for detailed assessment and support to the parents. Only medically necessary treatments, which might include surgery, were performed; any other surgeries were undertaken only with the full consensus of medical experts and the parents. […]»
>>> FULL TRANSCRIPT: Ireland questioned by CEDAW on IGM practices – Gov denies!
>>> CEDAW66 > NGO Briefing on Intersex Genital Mutilations in Ireland
>>> Communiqué de l’ONU > Mutilations Genitales Intersexes en Irlande
IGM Practices in Ireland: 2017 CEDAW Report
Human Rights Violations Of Children With Variations Of Sex Anatomy
IGM in Ireland • Complicity of the State • Harmful Practice
>>> Download as PDF (248 kb)
• UN Committee for the Rights of the Child (CRC): IGM = Harmful Practice + Violence
• UN Committee against Torture (CAT): IGM = Inhuman Treatment or Torture
• UN Women’s Rights Committee (CEDAW): IGM = Harmful Practice
• UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD): Violation of Integrity
• UN Human Rights Committee (HRCttee) to examine IGM Practices
• CAT 2011: Germany must investigate IGM practices and compensate survivors!
IGM as a Harmful Practice: UN-CRC Briefing
• IGM: A Survivor’s Perspective • Intersex Movement History
• What are Variations of Sex Anatomy? • What are IGM Practices?
• IGM and Human Rights • Conclusion: IGM as a Harmful Practice
>>> Download PDF (3.14 MB) >>> Table of Contents