IGM is VIOLENCE, a HARMFUL PRACTICE comparable to FGM, and INHUMAN TREATMENT in breach of the UN convention against TORTURE, and by far the most common and most severe form of violence intersex people experience, and MUST STOP!
When talking, writing or lecturing about intersex and rightfully addressing violence against intersex people, it’s not acceptable to count only comparatively rare cases of “verbal and physical abuse” and “bullying” while at the same time dismissing Intersex Genital Mutilations, framing IGM as “controversy” and “heated debate” over “health and medical services” instead.
Framing IGM not as violence, but as “health care”, or under “discrimination” or “civil status and identity issues” is INTERSEX APPROPRIATION and actively siding with the perpetrators, and MUST STOP just as well!
• 10 Verdicts by UN Treaty Bodies Condemning IGM – And Counting …
• UN Committee for the Rights of the Child (CRC) 2015: IGM = Harmful Practice
• UN Committee against Torture (CAT) 2015: IGM = Inhuman Treatment or Torture
• UN Human Rights Committee (HRCttee) to examine IGM Practices
• UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) condems IGM
• Historic 56th Session of Committee against Torture reprimands 4 States over IGM
• CAT 2011: Germany must investigate IGM practices and compensate survivors!
Eliminating IGM practices by holding the perpetrators accountable via well-established applicable human rights frameworks, including Inhuman Treatment and Harmful Practices – Presentation @ UN expert meeting on Intersex Human Rights
>>> Download PDF (831kb)