Daniela Truffer (StopIGM.org) presented the Joint Intersex Statement on behalf of the Nepali intersex community.
The entire CEDAW meeting with NGOs was also transmitted live and will be archived at webtv.un.org.
Both the English and the French UN press releases on the informal meeting of the Committee on the Elimination of the Discrimination against Women (CEDAW) with NGOs from Nepal, Congo, Bahamas and Samoa which was held on Monday 22.10.2018 highlight the Joint Intersex Oral Statement (PDF) on the serious human rights violations facing intersex children in Nepal:
Statements by Non-Governmental Organizations
StopIGM spoke on behalf of the peers from Nepal who could not afford to travel to Geneva, calling attention to intersex genital mutilation, which remained a growing practice in Nepal. Infanticide and child abandonment were frequent. There were reports of expulsion of adolescents from their families, of forced marriage to avoid conspicuousness, of bullying and abuse, and preventing intersex children from attending school.
Audition d’organisations de la société civile
S’agissant du Népal
StopIGM.org a fait état de violences et de harcèlement contre les enfants intersexués au Népal, dénonçant notamment les mutilations génitales et le refus de scolarisation dont ils sont victimes.
Intersex Genital Mutilations in Nepal: 2018 CEDAW
Human Rights Violations Of Children With Variations Of Reprod. Anatomy
Infanticide + IGM in Nepal • Complicity of the State • Harmful Practice
>>> Download as PDF (328 kb)
• ‘Only the Fear of the Judge Will Make IGM Perpetrators Change’
• “Harmful Medical Practice”: UN, COE, ACHPR, IACHR condem IGM
• 38 UN Reprimands for IGM – and counting …
• UN Committee for the Rights of the Child (CRC): IGM = Harmful Practice + Violence
• UN Committee against Torture (CAT) 2015: IGM = Inhuman Treatment or Torture
• UN Women’s Rights Committee (CEDAW): IGM = Harmful Practice
• UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD): Violation of Integrity
• UN Human Rights Committee (HRCttee) condemns IGM Practices
IGM as a Harmful Practice: 2015 UN-CRC Briefing
• IGM: A Survivor’s Perspective • Intersex Movement History
• What are Variations of Sex Anatomy? • What are IGM Practices?
• IGM and Human Rights • Conclusion: IGM is a Harmful Practice
>>> Download PDF (3.14 MB) >>> Table of Contents
Eliminating IGM practices by holding the perpetrators accountable via well-established applicable human rights frameworks, including Inhuman Treatment and Harmful Practices – Presentation @ UN expert meeting on Intersex Human Rights
>>> Download PDF (831kb)