Today, the UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) reprimanded Italy for IGM practices, again denouncing them as a breach of Art. 17 CRPD “Protecting the integrity of the person”.
StopIGM.org and Intersexioni warmly welcome the Concluding Observations by CRPD, explicitly obliging Italy to “guarantee bodily integrity, autonomy and self-determination to the children concerned”. We particularly appreciate that the Committee also highlighted the lack of data collection and monitoring of IGM practices, and specifically called for “provid[ing] families with intersex children with adequate counselling and support.”
StopIGM.org provided the Committee with evidence of the ongoing practice in Italy.
This latest reprimand for IGM practices by a UN treaty body marks
• the first reprimand for Italy for IGM,
• the 3rd reprimand for IGM by CRPD,
• and the 16th reprimand by a UN treaty body so far.
CRPD already reprimanded Chile for IGM under Art. 17 earlier this year, plus Germany in 2015, referring to a 2011 reprimand by UN-CAT.
Below we document the full binding recommendation on IGM practices for Italy by CRPD:
Protecting the integrity of the person (art. 17)
45. The Committee is concerned that children are subjected to irreversible surgery for intersex variation and other medical treatments without their free and informed consent.
46. The Committee recommends the State party ensure that no one is subjected to scientific undocumented medical or surgical treatment during infancy or childhood, guarantee bodily integrity, autonomy and self-determination to the children concerned, and provide families with intersex children with adequate counselling and support.
• UN Committee for the Rights of the Child (CRC): IGM = Harmful Practice + Violence
• UN Committee against Torture (CAT) 2015: IGM = Inhuman Treatment or Torture
• UN Women’s Rights Committee (CEDAW): IGM = Harmful Practice
• UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD): Inhuman Treatment
• UN Human Rights Committee (HRCttee) to examine IGM Practices
Intersex Genital Mutilations • 17 Most Common Forms
Human Rights Violations Of Children With Variations Of Sex Anatomy
IGM – Historical Overview • What is Intersex? • How Common are IGMs?
>>> Download PDF (3.65 MB) >>> Table of Contents