[ Archived of original version of 26.10.2016 >>> updated current list here ]
Today on Intersex Awareness Day 2016, we are celebrating
• 20 years of nonviolent intersex protests, and
• soon 20 UN reprimands for Intersex Genital Mutilations, expected no later than early March next year – with even more already in the making, also way beyond 2017!
The following is a breakdown of all previous UN reprimands – with soon 14 countries in Europe, South America, Asia, Africa and Oceania reprimanded so far – plus the very next to follow, including links to all binding recommendations in full:
IGM Practices: UN Reprimands by Treaty Body, Year and Country
• Committee against Torture (CAT) “inhuman treatment”:
2015: Switzerland, Austria, Denmark, Hong Kong
ca. 2018: U.S.A.? Australia?
• Committee on the Right of the Child (CRC) “harmful practice”:
2015: Switzerland, Chile
2016: France, Ireland, UK, Nepal, New Zealand, South Africa
• Committee for Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) “violation of integrity”:
2016: Chile, Italy, Uruguay
• Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW) “harmful practice”:
2016: France, Switzerland, Netherlands
• Human Rights Committee (HRCttee – CCPR) “non-therapeutic experimentation“:
On 26 October, Intersex People, Survivors, Partners, Families, Friends and Allies around the globe celebrate Intersex Awareness Day, commemorating the very first INTERSEX PROTEST in Boston in 1996 against the Annual Convention of the American Academy of Padiatrics (AAP), and in support of over 20 Years of Organised Struggle to End INTERSEX GENITAL MUTILATIONS.
• “Harmful Medical Practice”: UN, COE, ACHPR, IACHR condem IGM
• UN Committee for the Rights of the Child (CRC): IGM = Harmful Practice + Violence
• UN Committee against Torture (CAT) 2015: IGM = Inhuman Treatment or Torture
• UN Women’s Rights Committee (CEDAW): IGM = Harmful Practice
• UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD): Violation of Integrity
• UN Human Rights Committee (HRCttee) to examine IGM Practices
• CAT 2011: Germany must investigate IGM practices and compensate survivors!
Intersex Genital Mutilations • 17 Most Common Forms
Human Rights Violations Of Children With Variations Of Sex Anatomy
IGM – Historical Overview • What is Intersex? • How Common are IGMs?
>>> Download PDF (3.65 MB) >>> Table of Contents
IGM as a Harmful Practice: 2015 UN-CRC Briefing
• IGM: A Survivor’s Perspective • Intersex Movement History
• What are Variations of Sex Anatomy? • What are IGM Practices?
• IGM and Human Rights • Conclusion: IGM is a Harmful Practice
>>> Download PDF (3.14 MB) >>> Table of Contents
Eliminating IGM practices by holding the perpetrators accountable via well-established applicable human rights frameworks, including Inhuman Treatment and Harmful Practices – Presentation @ UN expert meeting on Intersex Human Rights