[ Deutsch ]
Intersex protest + Open Letter vs. ‘ESPE 9th Joint Meeting’, Milano (Italy) 19.09.2013
Presentation @ 58th Annual Meeting of the European Society for Paediatric Endocrinology ESPE, starting in Vienna (Austria) today (see Abstract Book (PDF), p. 96):
“Contemporary Surgical Approach in CAH 46XX – Results from the I-DSD/I-CAH Registries”
“Genital surgery has been performed in 251 (76%). Clitoral surgery been performed in 231 (92%), vaginal surgery in 204 (81%) and a combination of clitoral and vaginal surgery had been performed in 186 (74%). Of the 251 who had surgery, 18 (7%) had vaginal but no clitoral surgery whilst 42 (17%) had clitoral but no vaginal surgery. Mean age at first surgery was 2.5 years (0-15), with clitoral surgery and vaginal surgery at 2.6 years (range) and 3.2 years (range), respectively. In a logistic regression model it could be shown that there was a negative trend for surgery over time. Moreover, there was a significant trend towards surgery before 24 months of life over time. However, there were significant geographic differences in the probability/incidence of genital surgery: Europe 64%, Asia 97%, South America 89%. The Chicago Consensus Statement on DSD (comparison of data before and after 2006) did not have any significant influence on the timing or probability of surgery.”
Of course these figures are not new or unexpected. In fact, a presentation 2 years earlier by partly the same Austrian IGM doctors, “Current surgical practice in DSD” showed similar figures and the same tendencies.
This year’s ESPE features particularly many and particularly ugly D$D presentations.
StopIGM.org organised non-violent intersex protests against ESPE annual meetings in 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2016, thanks to local solidarity and support. Unfortunately, when we asked Austrian intersex organisations they said they couldn’t provide any practical support. As StopIGM.org has no funding and this week is also the 82nd CRC Session in Geneva where the UN Committee on the Rights of the Child will examine IGM in Portugal, unfortunately, the ESPE mutilators will be able to promote their trade unchallenged.
• Open Letter of Concern to EU Committee on Civil Liberties 2018
• Spain > 2 Days of Live Intersex Genital Mutilation – Unchallenged
• Open Letter of Concern to ‘6th I-DSD Symposium’ Copenhagen 2017
• USA > ESPE et al. Celebrating End of Intersex Human Rights – Unchallenged
• Open Letter of Concern to ’55th ESPE’ Paris 2016
• Open Letter of Concern to ‘6th ISHID Hypospadias Workshop’, Seligenstadt 2015
• Open Letter of Concern to ’53rd ESPE’ Dublin 2014
• Open Letter of Concern to ‘4th WOFAPS’ Berlin 2013
• Open Letter of Concern to ‘9th Joint Meeting’ (ESPE/LWPES) Milano 2013
• Open Letter of Concern to ‘4th I-DSD Symposium’ Glasgow 2013
• Open Letter of Concern to ’51st Annual Meeting of ESPE’ Leipzig 2012
• Open Letter of Concern to ’23rd ESPU’ Zurich 2012
• Open Letter of Concern to ‘ISHID’ Live Genital Mutilators London 2011
• Open Letter of Concern to ‘3rd EuroDSD Symposium’ Lübeck 2011
• Open Letter of Concern to ’11th EMBL/EMBO Conference’ Heidelberg 2010