During its 73rd Session in Geneva, the UN Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW) will examine the human rights record of Austria. StopIGM.org and the Austrian Association of Intersex People VIMÖ provided the Committee with evidence of ongoing Intersex Genital Mutilations (IGM). Prior to the examination, NGOs had the opportunity to brief the Committee in a public session in Geneva.
The statement on IGM presented by Daniela Truffer (StopIGM.org) was highlighted in the UN press release on the NGO Briefing:
“Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women hears from civil society organizations from Democratic Republic of the Congo, Austria, Cabo Verde and Guyana”
>>> UN Press Release (08.07.2019)
StopIGM said that, in Austria, intersex children born with so-called “ambiguous” genitalia continued to be submitted to unnecessary genital surgeries — including partial clitoris amputation, sterilizing procedures and human experimentation. Such surgeries were based on societal and cultural stereotypes of what constituted female or male bodies, and were nevertheless advocated and paid for by the public health system. To this day, rather than combat, investigate and monitor intersex genitalia mutilations, the State party refused to disclose statistics on this matter, and had tried to misrepresent this practice as supposedly genuine health care, despite the severe pain and suffering it caused.
• ‘Only the Fear of the Judge Will Make IGM Perpetrators Change’
• ‘Harmful Medical Practice’: UN, COE, ACHPR, IACHR condemn IGM
• 42 UN Reprimands for Intersex Genital Mutilations – and counting …
• UN Committee for the Rights of the Child (CRC): IGM = Harmful Practice + Violence
• UN Committee against Torture (CAT) 2015: IGM = Inhuman Treatment or Torture
• UN Women’s Rights Committee (CEDAW): IGM = Harmful Practice
• UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD): Violation of Integrity
• UN Human Rights Committee (HRCttee) to examine IGM Practices
• CAT 2011: Germany must investigate IGM practices and compensate survivors!